Cents to Hertz Conversion Chart

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:15:43 -0600

>Willem:
>      Just last week the pipe orgran tuner from Nashville tuned the organ
> 13 cents flat and let a note for me to tune the piano "quote....a little
> below A-440".    #*%^$///...how much is a little . I am still not quite
> sure how many 'cents' there are per 'beat' between A-440 & A-439  & on
> down the cycles per second band.
>      Normally, I tune the piano to A-440 and never try to catch the
> changing pitch of a pipe organ depending upon the temperature but this
> time because the music director was my buddy, I tuned to the 'whatever
> pitch' flat organ.
>Tommy Black
>Decatur, Ala.

This comes up so often, and is so confusing to so many of us, that I put
together a quick Excel worksheet today covering the entire piano range, A-0
to C-8 (like the one on the web site, only bigger), and a calculator for
cents difference between two pitches, and one for pitch result for cents
deviation. If anyone would like a copy, let me know and I'll send you one.
Then the next time it comes up, everyone who has a copy can offer to send
it to the next guy until everyone who's remotely interested (and has Excel)
has a copy.

Ron N