Cents to Hertz Conversion Chart

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:17:22

Hi Steven,

Yes it does. One cent at a4 is about 1/4 hertz, at a5 1/2 hertz, at a6 1
hertz, at a7 2 hertz. As to perceiving it hmmmmmmmmmmm good question--how
long does A7 sustain?

1 cent error at A4 = one beat in 4 seconds (approximate numbers)
1 cent error at a5 = one beat in 2 seconds
1 cent error at a6 = one beat per second
1 cent error at 17 = two beats per second

Add to this mix the coupled motion of piano strings and the answer becomes
even less clear.

At 02:57 PM 12/23/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>        By bigger I mean more  likely to be percieved aurally.   Steve B
>----- Original Message -----    From:    Wimblees@aol.com       To:
>pianotech@ptg.org    Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 12:04    PM   Subject:
>Re: Cents to Hertz Conversion    Chart
>In a message dated 12/23/02 12:25:08 PM Central Standard    Time,
>joegarrett@earthlink.net    writes:
>
>   Alan,
>Thanks for the link! Nice to have. One thing struck me:      As this is a
chart
>to convert Cents TO Hertz,(CPS), there is nothing that      shows the exact
>cents
>to achieve frequencies such as 435cps or 425cps. I      wonder if there is a
>reverse of this chart somewhere?
>Oh, as an aside,      on the bottom of the chart is the statement that this
>chart
>is      copyrighted by "International Piano Suppy". Who/what is that?
>Best      Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT,    (Oregon)
>

>Joe
>

>Cents are the    measurement between intervals, and there are 100 cents
>between each interval.    There are 100 cents between A0 and A#0 and
>between B7 and C8, and between    every interval all the way up and down
>the piano. The higher you go up the    scale, the difference in the number
>of Htz between notes gets greater and    greater. The greater the
>difference, the fewer cents there will be between    beats. And the
>opposite, there are fewer beats difference between intervals as    you go
>down the scale, so there will be more cents between beats.
>

>So if you want    tune a piano to A435, considering there are about 4 cents
>difference between    beats at A4, you multiply 5 beats times 4 cents, and
>you get 20 cents. If you    want to go down to A425, you multiply 4 cents
>time 15 beats, or 45 cents.
>
>  So if you want to get    super accurate, you'll have to off set your
>machine to 19.5. But I don't think    any one will hear the difference if
>you play it safe at 19 or 20 cents below    A.
>
>  50    cents below pitch? Whoever put this together at the International
>Piano Supply    Company either had too much time on their hands, or is
>trying to impress piano    tuners that they know something others don't.
>But as far as I'm concerned,    this is useless information.
>
>Wim

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/