Hearing the difference-a related question

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:30:30 -0600

I have known string players who can, consciously or un, play pure
intervals--as in string ensemble work--or stretch and shrink to play with
the piano.

Otherwise, as in a piano concerto, I think the audience just "forgives" the
difference. Methinks there are beats galore when different instruments get
together and play, just due to the different alignments and relative
strengths of partials above the fundamental.

Actually, in a well tuned piano, I think the listener "ignores" slow beats
and rolls in 5ths and 12ths and hears the faster beating 3rds, 6ths, 10ths,
etc., as a pleasant vibrato. After all, two violinists playing a third will
be intentionally introducing "beats," i.e., vibrato, most of the time.

I don't know about 4ths in ET. I find them annoying if I focus in on them,
others seem to like the vibrancy of the sound--again, perhaps, like the
natural or introduced vibrato of other instruments.

It's fun when someone says to me: "You must have perfect pitch," not
understanding that, by and large, we ignore pitch in tuning. My response is,
"Thank God, what a curse that would be for a tuner!"  If I say such a thing,
I then explain/demonstrate, of course.

Alan Barnard
Getting YOUR Weather in Salem, MO