Aural versus ETD tuning training

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:32:05 -0600

>... There certainly is a lot more then a
>dimes worth difference between the two.
>RicB
>
>  > >There is not a dime's worth of difference with those
>  > > skilled in either method...Jim Coleman, Sr.

This is a horse you've been riding for a long time, Richard. And
unfortunately, clichés like 'dimes difference' will never be adequate
to convey what is really being said either.

The key word Jim used here is *skilled*.

Now in my mind that encompasses whatever it takes to make an event
happen. As I see it, Richard, you on the other hand, in response to
Jim's post, are somehow maintaining that being skilled is not
sufficient.

However, if that is not your position, there really doesn't seem to
be a reason to beg to differ as I can hardly imagine anyone on this
list disagreeing with the fact that being skilled in the performance
of a given tuning task is an extremely, desirable asset, regardless
of method of employment or equipment used.

Winding down and wrapping up old business,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild