Aural versus ETD tuning training

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:38:38 -0500

An ETD is a tool to be used as a draftsman utilizes a straight edge, french
curves and a compass.
No one denounces an artist for using drafting tools. It would be much the
same as discrediting the old
masters for employing the Camera Obscura for laying out their sketches.

I dare say that a straight machine tuning is better in many cases than
'aural only' tunings.

An ETD used as a tutor is a valuable tool when a mentor is not always
available.  Input from a mentor can
instruct on hammer technique as well.

I have been using an ETD for a year now after being an aural tuner for 25
years. It is the most useful
tool I have ever purchased. It is a great assistant.

I believe ego is the largest obstacle to more widespread usage. I found
that it was a boost to my ego
because I became a better tuner through its collaboration.  The ability to
offer multiple temperaments
is icing on the cake and has people calling just for that option.  ET is
the Muzak of temperaments,
bland sameness.

Saying that someone can't learn to tune with an ETD is like saying that
someone can't learn to pilot
an aircraft in a simulator.  They will progress to the limits of their
abilities, much the same as an
aural-only student. Even the constant supervision of a mentor is no
guarantee that they have the
aptitude. Same goes for playing the piano, with all the piano major
graduates out there, why are there
so few outstanding performers?

An ETD is just another way to learn with the help of personal instruction.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com