Course of action for learning

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:26:01 -0500 (EST)

Tom,

I did exactly what you're doing (not so long ago -- I'm still a newbie). I
started with Reblitz. Read the book cover to cover. I have found that the
techniques and procedures in Reblitz's book are, in fact, common. However,
I would also recommend that you join the Piano Technicians Guild. When you
read the Journal, participate on this list, and talk to other piano
technicians, you realize that there are many ways to solve problems, and
not everybody agrees.  That's the fun part.

As for setting the temperament: (First of all, "the temperament" in the
book is equal temperament. Even though not everyone tunes pianos in equal
temperament, it's a useful thing to learn how to do.) First practice
hearing beats. If you feel comfortable with that, then just try the two
methods for setting the temperament in the book. It's personal preference
as to which you might use more often. The methods given use the faster
beating 3rds and 6ths, which I agree are easier to begin with. However, I
think it's a mistake to never practice setting a temperament with 4ths and
5ths. So, eventually try to get more methods to try. I really like the
Coleman A-A temperament.

I also recommend taking a course. I am taking the Randy Potter course.
It's an excellent course, and in fact it uses Reblitz's book a lot. It's
still like "doing it yourself" (Randy is very busy), so it's a good idea
to interact with other technicians if you can. I highly recommend going to
the annual convention. For a very reasonable price you have access to
classes taught by the best people in the field. I made a family trip out
of it last summer.

Good luck, and have fun,

Charles Neuman
PTG Associate, Long Island - Nassau