Everett (?aluminum) wound string

dabell58@earthlink.net dabell58@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:54:09 -0500

Dear List,

I am in a pickle trying to replace a wound string on an Everett console
from the mid-80's. The winding is grey, and by reading the archives I think
it is aluminum. Replacing the string with a copper-wound universal string
which mikes to the same dimensions as the removed string is not only a poor
idea tone-wise but doesn't work because the string can't be drawn up to
pitch without breaking (don't ask).

Any suggestions? Specialized string-supplier, some sort of equivalency
table between aluminum and copper windings (clearly a copper winding would
need to be smaller than the aluminum one so it could get up to pitch),
something I haven't thought of? The customer has borrowed the piano for a
year from her father and isn't really excited about anything expensive, but
I hate to leave the string unreplaced.

Any help much appreciated.

Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA