Dem earsl versus ETD

Fri, 27 Dec 2002 01:34:20 +0100

Great post Andre, as is your want.

Personally I think back on my own development as a tuner and think about
this "ETD learning" debate and wonder why on earth in todays situation
we havent worked out really clearly defined basic learning ciriculum for
tuning. The theory is quite accessable, as is putting it into "visual"
perspective as it were to re-enforce the aural. Potentially, the time
needed to learn quite advanced aural skills should be very significantly
reduced. In fact we should be able to spit out much more advanced tuners
both in relation to their understanding of the underlying theory and in
their accomplished aural skills much more quickly and effectively then
ever before.

We often debate the aural skills segment of the tuning exam. I would
think that exactly BECAUSE of the potential learning tool the ETD is we
should have made this segment much more demanding then previously. I
certainly think thats the direction we should be moving. Heck the ETD
represents a potential teaching aid that can more then replace any
learning scheme previously employed in tuning history.

To say, as some do, that aural skills are simply not necessary anymore
is to my mind of thinking ridiculous. Tuning is, and will always be an
art form. Not because we want to defend some human aspect against the
machine, not because of some fanatic need to reassure ourselves of some
or another this or that.... but because the judgement of what is or is
not "pleasant sounding", "in tune" or whatever words or descriptions one
wants to use, requires a conciousness to have any meaning at all.
Otherwise its all just noise.... if its even that. If one is not able to
make these judgements... to hear and equate what one hears to both the
rational theoretic and the more emotional musicality, then you are at
best an extension of the machine, which in turn is the extension of
someone elses programing. The ETD should never be the cause of this kind
of development. Rather, the ETD is exactly that tool which potentially
can arm us with greater levels of skill, understanding, and tuning
creativity then ever previously attainable.

At least thats my take on it all :)

Cheers !
RicB

--