Grand Hammer Stop Rail

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:17:14 -0800 (PST)

Okay, I've finally worked up my courage to ask some
advice.  Yes, I'm in over my head.

I've been doing some floor tuning for a small piano
dealer nearby.  He asked me to install a midi sensor
strip and hammer stop rail in a brand new Story &
Clark grand which already had the Pianomation 2000CD
installed.  At first I politely declined based on
"lack of experience".  He encouraged me to do the work
at "his risk".  I agreed, how hard could it be? Little
did I know he wanted it done before Christmas.

Installing the sensor strip worked out very well, I
was able to read and follow the directions and it
works fine. They are using the midi to make digital
piano sounds and doing some karaoke with it. (Not sure
why one would want a piano to sound like a saxophone
or violin, but each to his/her own.)

When it came to the Hammer Stop Rail (QRS), I ran into
problems; 1. the steel bar was in 2 pieces making for
a weak splice point, 2. I'm new enough that I'm still
learning about let-off being too close to the strings
for the bar to work, and 3. I was reluctant to drill
into the plate to mount the on/off mechanism.

The piano has been delivered to the customer, but the
dealer still wants me to install the stop rail some
time in the near future.

Has anyone had experience installing these
successfully?  Any advice? (please be nice, I'm the
sensitive type).

Dave Davis
Renton, WA
Assoc. PTG