Aural versus ETD tuning training

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 04:23:28 +0100

Jack Houweling wrote:

>  In order to perfect a tuning one must go over and over to get the best
> results. How long does it take to tune by ear versus machine. I find that
> the more time I take  the better the tuning. 1hr20min by machine and 2 hrs.
> by ear. Can others tell me how long they take?

I find the best I can do is done with or without an ETD within 90
minutes. Beyond that I tend to have stabililty problems. You cant over
work the tuning pins in any given sitting it would seem.

Some days things come together better then others. Any given single
partial ETD calculated curve is not necessarily the best sounding for
any given piano. I know for example a highly respected ETD tech that
always uses RCTs OT 8 curve on every single piano he tunes. He justifies
this by saying this stretch delivers the kind of octaves he likes. To me
this seems to reveal a lack of understanding of what ETD and their
stretches really are. An OT 8 is simply not appropriate on every piano
in my book. I would go so far as to say that on many instruments it
would sound down right bad... tho I admitedly move into the subjective
arena with that statement.

Point being... that ETD or not... you can get it "just right" or you can
be "off your game" a bit on any given day for any given tuning. Tho in
the end, if you are really good at all this.. your best at any given
time will manage the flight well enough.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.