Tuning Time-Joe Goss Hammer

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:14:00 EST

In a message dated 12/29/02 9:27:05 PM Central Standard Time,
imatunr@srvinet.com writes:

> Hi Speedy Sideways Bill,
> And my newest hammer may be a little faster yet <G>
> Joe Goss

Yes, your hammer has a lot to do with my recent time reduction.  I guess
everyone must find what works for him or herself but when I first picked up
my Wonder Wand from Charles Huether, I liked it and used one for over 10
years.  Then I bought one from Joe Goss.  It took very little time to get
used to and I noticed that I could get more 1 stroke corrections out of it
than with my previous hammer.

A few days ago, I was working with my apprentice to whom I had given my old
Wonder Wand.  When I made a correction with my old tuning hammer which I had
used to tune thousands of pianos, it felt so awkward and inferior.  Could I
say more?

I used the 1 stroke correction idea as a premise to reduce my tuning time and
did so.  Joe Goss' hammer is solid and nicely balanced.  It is the transfer
time from one pin to another and the time it takes to get a string into tune
which is parallel to the number of strokes it takes.

The fewer strokes, the faster the tuning.  There may also be something
enigmatic about bringing a piano into tune quickly and in a pattern which
introduces the new tension more evenly.  In other words, the quicker it is
done, the better it is, at least in many cases but certainly not all.

I highly recommend Joe Goss' tools.

Happy New Year!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin