Adding a soundboard decal AFTER the piano has been re-strung

Jason Travelling Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:12:57 -0800

How about putting the decal on the *underside* of the soundboard? <g>
.  jason kanter . jason.kanter@wamu.net . jkanter@rollingball.com
.  vp/manager . learning & performance development
.  consumer loan servicing . washington mutual bank
.  office 206 490 6708 . cell 425 830 1561

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 8:15 AM
  Subject: Re: Adding a soundboard decal AFTER the piano has been =
re-strung

  In a message dated 12/29/2002 7:43:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj: Re: Adding a soundboard decal AFTER the piano has been =
re-strung=20
    Date: 12/29/2002 7:43:32 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From: Wimblees@aol.com
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

           Hi Wim & Steven
    .        Steven, even if you use the dry transfer decal , it abso- =
pos -alutely needs a clear coat to stay intact. I have a great deal of =
expertise (utter failures) with these decals and assure you it will need =
at least a thin coat of whatever you used as a top coat to preserve it =
for posterity and countless layers of dust and subsequent cleanings with =
methods not approved by PTG.
       You,' need to loosen all the strings over the targeted spot =
remove them from the hitch pins and get them out of the way while you =
gnash your teeth attempting this procedure. I use the term loosely Grin!

  Best of luck
          Dale Erwin

    >Hi list,
    >
    >I have what might be a stupid a question But I will ask anyway).  =
Would
    >it be possible to add the soundboard decal that SHOULD have been =
put on
    >the soundboard BEFORE the piano was re-strung now, without =
completely
    >loosening all of the strings?  It is a varnish/solvent=20
    >transfer decal
    >and is about 6"X 15.5".
    >
    >Thanks for your help,
    >
    >Steven

    It won't be impossible, but it will be very difficult to do it. A =
much more efficient way, however, is to use a transfer decal from Decals =
Unlimited. They are easier to put on, and a lot less messy.

    Wim