Knabe Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:15:28 -0500

Just thought I would share my latest acquisition of sorts. I helped one of my clients purchase a 1902 Knabe 6' 4" grand for full rebuild - soundboard, etc. It was delivered to my shop today. This is a very impressive piano. Open pinblock (glued to stretcher). Three bridges - nine wound tricords on the tenor/transition bridge. And the rim - the rim - a full 2-7/8 inches of 14 ply ash. Not a trace of delamination. Truly massive. Piano appears to have had a kind first 100 years. Five frame members under board. Won't get to this one for a while, but am very much looking forward to it! They sure built those pianos back then.

Del had shared a bit of advice to me regarding selection of this piano. Thanks Del. It looks like a real winner.

Terry Farrell