Shifty Kirschner 12/30

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:15:00 -0500

At 7:11 PM -0800 12/30/02, Carman Gentile wrote:
>   I have acquired a new client with an old Kirschner baby grand.  In
>order to slide out the action, I need to crawl under the piano and
>loosen the shift bearing block (on the unacorda mechanism) to allow
>the shifter to drop below its opening in the keybed.

Ordinarily the tip of the U.C. lever which pushes on the key
generally doesn't need to stick up more than 5/16". When the action
slides out, the back rail has a slot cut in it to allow the key frame
to slide out over.

The only time I've known the shift lever to be in the way of
extracting the action, such that the action is blocked in place, is
in reproducing grands (the Steinway Duo-Arts among them). Here the
owner of the piano has a stark choice: either the pianist gets to use
the U.C. or the player mechanism does.

It'll be fun to here your next report.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.