What weight shall it be?

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:39:11 -0800

So here's a question for all you action geo-philes out there.  I'm =
replacing a set of hammers and shanks.  The shank pinning is virtually =
frictionless at present.  The balance weight is 42 g, but the downweight =
is only 50 grams in the center (i.e. 8 grams of friction).  When I =
replace the shanks the friction will go up by probably 3-4 grams in the =
center.  The pianist says she likes the current weight and doesn't want =
to change it.  Is she responding to the balance weight or the =
downweight?  Will she be happier with a 42 balance weight and 53 - 54 =
grams of downweight where it was once 50, or will she be happier with a =
reduced balance weight that yields a similar downweight with the =
increase in friction?

Something else to think about.

David Love=20

=20