Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:42:38 -0500

My Boston reportedly has a polyurethane finish (perhpas having something to
do with it being mfg. in the Kawai factory?). It is a very nice hard finish.
It is black and hand rubbed satin. The satin effect is a tad grey, not quite
as soft as a laquer would be.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 4:41 AM
Subject: RE: Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

At 12:55 AM +0100 1/1/02, Isaac OLEG SIMANOT wrote:

There's polyurethane and polyurethane.  Obviously the straightforward
polyurethane varnish and paints that have been used by DIY people for
decades to the detriment of much good woodwork is not an option, by I
understand that the finish on a Kawai, and probably a Yamaha is not
polyester, as is generally thought, but a cured polyurethane.  Don't
quote me on this, but I think my memory serves me aright.

SNIP
JD