Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:12:22 +0000

At 10:51 AM -0500 1/1/02, Allegrofinemusic@AOL.COM wrote:
>JD,
>Why is french polishing only possible on a black piano?
>Best
>Harry

That's not what I said.  I said it is only possible to use the
existing finish as a foundation for further bodies if the piano is to
be black.  A first class finish cannot be obtained by polishing on
the basis of an existing clear finish unless no fading of the wood,
no seeping of oil, no absorption of grime has taken place -- and
these circumstances are rare except in parts of the poodwork that
have been protected from all the causes of these griefs.  I do
therefore occasionally get away with just cutting down and re-bodying
the underside of grand or upright tops, but I regard that as a bonus.

JD