loose pin & dead bass questions...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 18:25:55 -0500

John,

I can't tell for sure if you understood Stephen correctly.  He says the crack is
about the width of a thin bass string, so perhaps 1/16" or 2mm or so.  From your
writing it almost sounds as if you thought the crack itself was up to 1 1/2"
wide.  That would indeed be a disaster; I never saw a back separation that big.

As far as the small separation goes, I agree that it should be repaired before
the piano is tuned again.  But if the pitchraise and tuning is already done, is
there any harm in just leaving well enough alone?  I agree that lowering the
pitch right away would be the safest route to go, but I've seen two separated
backs of more than a half inch, and in neither case did the plate break
(surprisingly).

Regards,
Clyde