Dead spot

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:16:29 -0600

>> Yep, it's arbitrary. And I check with the dampers down in all cases. I
>> notice that sustain is often tested with the dampers down before teardown,
>> and up after stringing, demonstrating the difference rebuilding made.
>
>Smile when you say that. :)
>
>		Newton

Newton, I was cackling like a maniac. Couldn't you tell? <G> And I
neglected to mention another thing. Sustain isn't the only criteria, or
maybe even the best. I test a firm blow in all areas to check for different
things in different areas of the scale. In the killer octave, I don't want
to hear that "blown speaker" attack distortion that goes with the short
sustain, since the sustain can be affected by the front duplex to in that
area too. I listen to people tentatively trying out a piano and commenting
on how clear and sweet it sounds, when a blow commensurate with tuning or
aggressive playing in that killer octave falls apart in a sort of
blaaatttt. I don't think you should be able to over drive a board like that
within reasonably normal play levels, and the worse the board, the lower
the attack level that produced that sound.

Ron N