stephan air/loose pins/tubby bass

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:24:34 EST

Stephen:
The crack in the top of the Gulbransen sounds like a separated pin block. On
more than one occassion I have repaired the separated pin block on many
pianos....mainly Everett Studio pianos  without lowering the pitch from
A-440. I fill the crack....many up to l/8" wide....with Titebond Yellow
Glue.....protect the plate with oak strips....pull crack together with
attatched "C" clamps....remove one screw at top of plate at a time....drill
completely through the screw hole through back of instrument and replace with
bolts ....3/16 X ? ...long enought to hold the plate, block and frame secure
with lock nuts & washers....proceed to the next plate screw until all are
secure....Remove "C" Clamps ONLY AFTER ALL BOLTS HAVE BEEN SECURED. I'm sure
this is unorthodox to a number of qualified technicians but I've been
repairing separated pin blocks for 25 years this way and as of this
date.....not one...not one has ever failed in any shape, form, nor fashion.
They all hold up to A-440 and It is not necessary to lower the pitch using
this method. The grand piano  that has been in a fire....be very...very
careful....maybe too much steam...smoke acidic....can get into a lot of
trouble,

Tommy Black
Birmingham, Ala.