Epoxy

Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:24:32 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 02, 2002 8:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Epoxy

  Del:

  I have typically used West System epoxies but I am curious about your =
use of the clear coat epoxy  you describe below.  I use West System, =
among other things, to secure bridge pins when repinning an old bridge.  =
After cleaning the bridge cap, sanding out the string grooves, and =
renotching, I put a drop or two of epoxy into the bridge pin hole, dip =
the tip of the new pin in epoxy and tap it in.  As the excess oozes out, =
I take a fine brush dipped in lacquer thinner and spread the excess =
epoxy over the cap and into the notches to seal the wood.  After it =
cures I paint on a thin coat of permalon--I've gotten away from putting =
graphite on the bridge.  I am curious about the clear coat epoxy because =
it seems that it might be a better seal for the wood.  Will it serve the =
same function as a filler for small cracks as the West System?

  David Love

The SystemThree Clear Coat epoxy is about as good as 'regular' epoxy in =
terms of crack filling. Because it is so thin it penetrates into the =
wood surface considerably more than thicker epoxies. If you're trying to =
fill small cracks around bridge pins you'll need to go back over them =
frequently as it soaks in. The stuff has a really long working life if =
you don't mix overly much so this isn't all that much a problem.

We've been making laminated caps for most of our bridge work of late and =
have been using the stuff to seal the notches where the end grain shows =
up. Probably overkill, but it really does soak in a lot.

Most of the time we still graphite bridges as a matter of customer =
preference. On our own pianos we do not. I fail to see the point of it.

Del