Silent piano?

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:05:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Phil Ryan <pryan2@the-beach.net> wrote:
> List,
>
> What's a silent piano (Yamaha)?  I just got a call
> to tune one and I let on
> that I knew all about them.  Is there anything
> different about them that I
> should know about to tune them?  I'd appreciate any
> "inside" information.
>
> Phil Ryan
> Miami Beach, FL (no snow here)
> Home of the #1 Hurricanes

Hi Phil,
It's a normal acoustic piano and tuned as usual, but
it has an additional feature, when a third pedal is
applied a rubber bar catches the hammers before they
hit the strings making it silent and at this point an
electronic piano takes over and can be heard through
headphones.  The letoff is slightly different from
normal but you will see a diagram inside the piano
showing this.

For tuning purposes - just treat as normal.

Bob Wilson
London.