Piano Rims (rambling post)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 23:58:14 0000

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:18:58
 JIMRPT wrote:

> I bet a regular acoustic guitar would have
>pretty good sustain if you took off the bridge.  Of course, you wouldn't be
>able to hear it.">>
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this Electric guitars do have a bridge...don't
>they. The bridge is where most of the tremolo attachments are hooked up to.

That's not really what we think of as a bridge is it?  More like a hitch or tail
piece for ending the string.  The string vibrations are not coupled to the
guitar body as in an acoustic guitar.  They are picked up by a 'pickup' and
amplified.

>As to the acoustic part I am not sure I follow your reasoning... a piano
>would not have very good volume if you didn't install the bridges
>either.......your point???

My point is that the solid body guitar does not have better sustain than a
hollow body acoustic guitar because it has a solid body. or because it is
more rigid than an acoustic guitar.  It is because the string is not coupled
to the body of the guitar.

> To comment on the tone bar anaology......it ain't one because the tone bar
>is in and of itself the producer of tone and projector of tone whereas the
>piano sound board
>does not produce the sound it merely projects what is produced by a separate
>mechanism, i.e. the string.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

I don't agree.  The tone bar is excited by a mallet or whatever.  The soundboard
is excited by vibrations from the bridge (in what form I won't get into - I don't
want to get in the middle of that discussion).  At that point I don't see much
difference between the two.

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html