Ron N's cutoff bar (was Piano Rims (rambling post))

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 04:14:12 0000

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:13:52
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>They do tend to be heavier than what you
>see in most pianos, and considerably more of the bass corner is cut off
>than is the case in most pianos. Look at that sketch Del posted when we
>were talking about fanned ribs. Imagine a similar bar made out of straight
>pieces, the longest going from belly rail to rim, with a branch or two
>going from the first bar to the rim to continue the approximate curve
>around in steps, rather than in one continuous curve. You will have what
>amounts to two diagonal braces to the side and a very stiff cutoff bar.
>Where the bar crosses an existing beam, it is glued and doweled to it.
>
>Ron N

Ron,
I'm having trouble picturing this.  I looked at Del's sketch again.  You say
the longest bar goes from belly rail to rim.  But the rest of the description makes
it sound as if no one bar goes from belly rail to rim.  As I'm picturing this the
cutoff bar is not one piece but two or three pieces end to end approximating
a curve stretching from belly rail to rim with cross pieces going from the
intersections of the cutoff bar pieces to the rim.  Is this correct?

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html