WN&G Action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:27:51 -0500

Speaking of Ivers & Pond and Aeolean, I tuned my first Ivers & Pond =
grand the other day. I was all excited when I saw Ivers & Pond on the =
plate. Piano looked in real good shape also. Then I removed the =
fallboard to fix a sticking damper. I noticed the greenish newish =
looking jacks and green monster looking hammers. Then I saw the date =
stamped on the hammer rail. 1974. An Aeolian. What a wretched piano. =
Asolutely just slopped together. I guess I still have not serviced an =
Ivers & Pond. Maybe someday.

What a cruel trick.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Maxpiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 11:36 PM
  Subject: Re: WN&G Action

  Terry,

  WN&G stands for Wessell, Nickel & Gross.  Early Mason & Hamlin pianos =
had Wessell, Nickel & Gross actions.  Ivers & Pond and Stieff always had =
them.  Manufacturers such as Lauter and Blasius who put other actions in =
some of their pianos used WN&G for their top of the line.  The great =
depression did not deal kindly with them.  The name was taken over by =
Starr I understand and eventually appeared on some Aeolian products =
(ugh!).

  In a message dated 1/3/02 9:53:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, =