WNG and McPhails

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:57:15 -0600 (CST)

Bill--
Thanks for the correction! However, I assumed (must not do
that!!) that because two grand old McPhails in my care have WNG
actions. I'll bet they just used them on their top of the line
pianos. I remember the first McPhail I met, after looking it
over closely, and not having my history books with me, I came to
the conclusion that it must have been made by an escapee from
Ivers and Pond. So much was similar. Of course McPhail was his
own man and came down from Nova Scotia.

I'm surprised to learn that Poole was a "carbon copy" of
McPhail, because the Pooles (2 again) that I've run into were
not made with any where near the quality of the McPhails.
Perhaps again, a difference of models -- maybe I was unfortunate
enough to have the bottom of the line here.

Anyway, I have wondered often if there isn't somewhere a history
of action builders. I for one, would sure love to read about
them.

cadunn@vt2000.com
writes:

> WN&G was also used by Heintzman, Ivers & Pond, and McPhail--all
> very fine piano makers.
>
> Clair

Clair,

Sorry to have to correct you, but McPhail pianos always had
Strauch Bros.
actions.  We had an 1895 McPhail upright, and I learned to play
on it, later
using it for tuning practice.  McPhail uprights and their carbon-
copy Poole
brand were even more common than Ivers & Pond in Maine during
the 1950's.

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service