Stein grand unique board

Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:33:52 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 04, 2002 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Stein grand unique board

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:59:26
>  Erwinspiano wrote:
> >
> >          The ribs on the Stein were not thinned down but just a little.
It
> >was a pretty bulky looking set of ribs and  vast majority of the
soundboards
> >edge was a free float but not in the same way that has been described
> >recently on the list. It just wasn't touching anything but the belly rail
and
> >a few inches of the rim near the top rib as I recall.
>
> >           Dale Erwin
> >
> Well, so much for the idea that waves have to be reflected from the rim
> back into the board in order for it to function properly.
>
> Phil F

Didn't Dale say that the soundboard was glued to the bellyrail and for some
short distance through the treble? That would take care of the treble
section.

And didn't he also say that the ribs--the rather thick ribs--were glued to
the rim?

The soundboard assembly works as a system; bridges, soundboard panel and
ribs. Regardless of free-floating soundboard edges this is still pretty much
a clamped edge system through most of the soundboard's parameter.

Del