Learning: was Violin

Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:50:43 +0100

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> The one thing that has been most interesting in this discussion of
> bridges, sounding boards, etc is the issue of credibility.  We all
> know that the technician from out-of-town has more credibility than
> the local, and that the farther away he/she is, the more credible.
> In this around-the-world discussion, the criterion for credibility is
> the one not involved in the discussion.  Therefore, the quote from a
> book published in 1903, is authoritative.  The quote from an expert
> on "The Internet" is gospel.
>
> Let's face it, in the physics of piano acoustics, this local internet
> group is pretty much the experts.  The guy/gal who got a "B" in
> "Physics of Musical Sound 101" but has a web site does not have that
> much credibility with me.  Give me the experience of the people
> actually putting pianos together.... the ones on this list.
>
> dave
> _____________________________

Dave, I will grant you that it is defiantly in order to respect ones
experience base. However the "physics of piano acoustics" as you put it
is not something the kind of builder /rebuilder or technicians in
general  on this list needs to get toooooooo awfully deep into and by
necessity they don't. They have to actually work on instruments. I
question big time that this local group represent the worlds expertise on
the subject of piano acoustics let alone the mechanics of acoustics in
general. I find it no less then incredible that anyone should actively
discourage readers of this list to take less then serious source material
unless it comes from a select few contributors to this list. It might
also be worth pointing out that major manufactures actually hire folks
from the physics / acoustics field with very high levels of education and
spend millions on research. I am sure they would be very much pleased to
know that all they need do is fire all those folks save all those
dollars, yens, marks and whathaveyou and simply come to the "physics of
piano acoustics" "experts" that are only to be found ... here.

McFerrins book btw was first published in 1925, updated in 53, and
expanded upon and updated again in 1971. McFerrin himself was a Professor
of Physics. I personally see no reason why I should not place a good deal
of weight on what he, or Benade, or Olson, or Fletcher & Rossing, or,
Conklin, or Askenfelt, or Skala or a host of other authors, scientists,
and researchers have to say on any subject matter that comes on this
list.

Credibility ???

--
Richard Brekne