WN&G Action

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 14:20:22 EST

dnereson@dimensional.com writes:

> On another note, some old uprights (Steinway and very few others, if
> any), and a few newer ones (the Yamaha U3, is it?) have a full sostenuto.
> I'm surprised W,N, & G didn't do this on their nicer vertical actions, but
> maybe they did and I just haven't seen one yet.

I've seen a few Stieff (WN&G action of course) uprights with sostenuto, but
not a full sostenuto.  Stieff had heavy plate struts between the tenor and
the treble (I assume because there was a design problem with notes at the
break going out of tune) and got in the way of a complete sostenuto rail.
Sostenuto only from about C5 down.

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place