GH1request................

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:32:41 EST

In a message dated 1/5/02 2:18:39 PM Central Standard Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Of course the fly in the ointment is the break,
> notably the C & B plain wire notes..........no new news there huh? :-(
>
> I have discussed the problem with my customer at length and told him of the
> mixed results I have had with the bi-chord
> modifications......................
> My request is that some of you'ns what am done this modification share your
> thoughts on the outcomes of your jobs and whether you think it was
> worthwhile
> doing.

I don't see any downside to the retrofit of bichords in the low tenor at all.
 I have a Piano Teacher customer who complained of both poor tone and very
poor tuning stability in her otherwise very nice grand piano.  I told her
frankly what the problem was.  I really didn't think Yamaha would be of much
help but I contacted the company anyway and to my surprise, the solution for
the problem was exactly what I had in mind.

At the time, which is now many years ago, so long ago, I don't really
remember which year it was, I was offered a retrofit kit of 12 strings for 6
bichords, six retrofit agraffes and six retrofit hitch pins.  I did the work,
it solved the problem as I expected it would and the customer has been
content with the piano ever since.  It has a humidity control system which
keeps it well enough in tune that she has it tuned only once a year in July.

In summation, the retrofit solved both a tone and tuning stability problem.
As I understand it, only a longer bass bridge that would include those six
notes of the low tenor might be a better scale design.  The customer is happy
and as far as I am concerned, the piano has good, normal tone and exceptional
tuning stability.  Neither the customer nor I have anything negative to say
about the change made to the piano at all.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin