Stein grand unique board

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:24:08 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2002 1:54:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

> Subj:Re: Stein grand unique board
> Date:1/4/2002 1:54:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:    JIMRPT@AOL.COM
> Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
> To:    pianotech@ptg.org
>
>     Hi Jim ,Phil and list

       I would have jumped in sooner but have been gone. I was hoping this
would generate this kind of discussion
       I have no argument with the the physical law stated below but let me
suggest for the sake of discussion that the primary energy source being
considered in the pond analogy, the pebble tossed in, is the initiator of the
waves action. The primal energy source. In the soundboard system the
traveling wave set into motion by the hammer is the primal energy source and
as long as the string vibrates the waves continue to radiate out from the
primary energy source and dissipate into whatever by absorbtion,friction,heat
or moving air.
   Perhaps Phil Ford and  Charles Fredrick Stein  has a valid point that we
should consider the reflective wave as of lesser importance, though not
unimportant, when designing a soundboard system, apparently Charles did.
       As Del has said the soundboard system functions as system and what we
seem to be doing here is  consider the various individual component aspects
as to there contribution to sound production as a system. Seems to me like a
healthy thing for a think tank to do.
    Another thought that occurs to me is, that however the listener would
describe the overall sound of the Stein system, that sound will have to be
partially  ascribed to the lack of reflected energy from the rim on the
straight side and curved side of the rim even though we can't dissect or
isolate it. Alas another mystery.
        Also perhaps the fact that all the end grain of the soundboard panel
is terminated at the belly rail, which as Del pointed out, adds all the
stiffness the trebles require to function. Afterall sound travels along the
grain faster than across. My deduction from all this is that the tail end of
the piano is not as drastically compromised by having a pseudo free floating
edge around the majority of its perimeter.
             Best
        Dale Erwin