Learning: was Violin

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:02:50 +0100

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> Richard:
>
> On the contrary, I have lots of confidence in the engineers and
> physicists you mention.  However, as far as we can tell none of them
> have written anything about this current discussion i.e. which moves
> first, the bridge or the sounding board (the chicken or the egg).
> Quotes from these people about other things does little but try to
> borrow their credibility.  Until someone attaches accelerometers to
> bridge and sounding board of a real-world piano this discussion will
> continue ad infinitum.  The "winners" and "losers" will be judged by
> readers as to the number of off-topic quotes or the writing style.
>
> dave

Number one Dave, this is not about the chicken or the egg, and if it is
then I would submit the person making a big issue of whether it is an
impact that creates a movement, or a movement that creates an impact is
playing at that particular age old game. Number two, what we actually are
talking about is quite interesting to many, and perfectly valid as a
topic for this forum. Number three, this is not about winning or losing,
or credibility issues, or any of that kind of thing. And if any judgement
by onlookers takes place, I would indeed hope it has to do with aspects
less trivial then ones personal prejudices about someones writing styles.
I am not trying to borrow anyones credibility or gain any such
credibility for myself, how silly to think that could be of any real
value to begin with.  Out of basic respect for each and every person who
contributes to this list I go waaaayyyy out of my way to avoid thinking
about them or these disscussions we have in those terms.

And really, this is an open forum, not every thread interests every
person. For the life of me I can not understand why  anyone not finding
any particular thread interesting would ask that those who do to desist
rather then simply read those posts that are more appealing.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.