A request from Chile

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:56:12 -0800

At 06:05 PM 1/7/2002 -0300, you wrote:
>When I first played it, I found its action
>heavy. I asked in this list and received a lot of advise. With all this
>knowledgement I contacted an authorized Yamaha technician in Panama. He came
>to my house in september 2000 and made a lot of friction reduction work.
>Actually, he was a very good technician. After that, I recognized a very big
>change in the action weight. But not as much as I expected. Now I believe
>that the action itself is heavier than actions I like. I've ever liked light
>actions, since my hands are small. Furthermore, I'm not a professional
>pianist, so I don't want to develop big muscles in my hands.

Hello, Fernando

It seems that the friction work has been done, and your main complaint is
just the weight. Have you considered just reducing the hammer weight?
It is possible to taper the whole hammer, so only the strike point is
the full width. Also, you can sand the insides of the tails to take some
wood off. If the touch is still too heavy, you can trim some of the felt
off of the shoulders, leaving the tops of the hammer alone.

I did this on a Kawai grand (along with friction reduction) and found
the touch lightened a lot. The pianist seems happy with the results.

If the up-weight is high enough that the keys will return well even
with lighter hammers, maybe you could get what you wish this way. Of
course, if you went too far you'd have to replace the hammers.

Susan Kline