Sound Propagation

Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:35:59 +0100

John Delacour wrote:

> At 10:13 PM +0100 1/7/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>
> >Let me put it this way. When Del says "Sound does not travel through the sound
> >board"  And John Delacour says emphatically the opposite, I start
> >immediately with
> >the thought that there is a high probability of these two very
> >informed individuals
> >are really speaking somewhat different languages, accenting
> >different aspects of
> >this problem that they have come through there experience to feel is
> >very important
> >to underline. Chances are that somewhere there is an interpretation
> >of the problem
> >that lies somewhere in between that really doesn't conflict with either.
>
> And pigs might fly!
>
> Remember when we were playing with monochords and listening to the
> screech of wires vibrating in the longitudinal mode?  How do you
> think these waves were audible at all, Richard?  Since the frequency
> of those waves were not partials of the natural transverse frequency
> of the wire, obviously they did not convert themselves by some magic
> into transverse vibrations so that we might hear them -- besides,
> transverse vibrations do not constitute sound -- so where did the
> sound come from, how did these longitudinal vibrations disturb the
> air?

Well,,,:)... its just my nature JD, I'm libra... seek balance they say. Besides I
give try and give everyone the benifit of the doubt....gets me into trouble all the
time :) I think its important to look closely in that direction first to see what I
can draw on, if anything, from what that look can yeild.

Then too... I did go onto say if real dissagreement is then obvious.... etc etc...
so as far at the example you give about our monochords (I'm still working with
mine, trying out different things) I am in aggreement with you.

> Consider also that if it is necessary to move large bodies of air for
> music to be heard, why a concert hall is not a necessarily a very
> windy place.

Hmmm... well if it was I suppose it would be a bit more difficult to hear. Or what
?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.