Soft iron knot?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:59:50 EST

Greetings,
    Having recently been the tech on a four day historical recording project,
I had about   as much trouble as I ever had getting a clear sound out of a
fortepiano.  We were using a copy of a Graf, and I was tuning a Young
temperament for a Schubert CD.   Aside from the continual action abberations,
I had a couple of broken strings.
   I tried tying the broken strings, I used two different knots that have
worked for me for many years, and neither string could be brought near its
pitch without breaking at the knot.
   Is there a particular type of knot that is known to work with soft iron
strings?  These were Rose, .080" wires.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT