Yamaha Voicing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:07:28 -0500

I will be voicing a 15 year old mid-sized Yamaha grand in a couple weeks. I
am very much a beginner in voicing. The owner complains that it is "not as
mellow as it was before". I'm looking for any general do's and don't
regarding Yamaha hammers. I will likely be using some light steaming as a
first step aimed at general brightness reduction.

The owner also complains of the "upper register" being quieter than the rest
of the piano. I asked if it was most noticeable in the 5th or 6th octave.
She said yes. So I realize this may largely be a soundboard problem, and I
will measure soundboard shape and downbearing to evaluate that. But even if
it is a soundboard problem, I doubt she is ready today to put in a new
board. What if anything can be done to at least partially improve this area.

Thanks for any guideance.

Terry Farrell