Yamaha Voicing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:58:21 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> will be voicing a 15 year old mid-sized Yamaha grand in a couple weeks. I
> am very much a beginner in voicing. The owner complains that it is "not as
> mellow as it was before". I'm looking for any general do's and don't
> regarding Yamaha hammers. I will likely be using some light steaming as a
> first step aimed at general brightness reduction.
>
> The owner also complains of the "upper register" being quieter than the rest
> of the piano. I asked if it was most noticeable in the 5th or 6th octave.
> She said yes. So I realize this may largely be a soundboard problem, and I
> will measure soundboard shape and downbearing to evaluate that. But even if
> it is a soundboard problem, I doubt she is ready today to put in a new
> board. What if anything can be done to at least partially improve this area.
>
> Thanks for any guideance.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

I agree with Don. Before trying anything, just tune the darn thing, and then
ask the customer to identify the problems. I had a similar situation a couple
of years ago. She is a piano teacher, with a 2 year old Yamaha grand. She
wanted me to voice the piano, since she thought it sounded to schrill. After
I tuned it, I asked her to help me voice the piano. She listened and said,
"But it sounds so much better now." All that I needed to do is tune it. The
previous tuner did a lousy job on unisons, not to mention temperament.
Problem solve.

That is not to say you'll have some voicing problems. Yamaha, as do all Asian
pianos have a tendency to get brighter and brighter with use. The idea you
have will work, but be sure to take enough needles with you to punch down the
hammers. The try to bring up the "killer" octave with deep shoulder needling.

Good luck, and tell us how it went.

Wim