Pitch Raise Experiment

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:45:19 -0800 (PST)

Speaking of breaking strings, I had thought of a maybe
fun, but destructive and expensive game to play.
Every player gets supplied with a helmet and
protective suit, and a 9-foot (something as small as a
7-foot would be ok, too) grand piano with the lid
removed.  Each player is also supplied with several
sets of bass strings and tuning pins for the piano,
and a tuning lever and/or crank.  The players point
the pianos at their targets (the other players, hence
the protective clothing and helmets), install a
string, and rapidly crank it sharp until it snaps,
hopefully throwing the string out of the piano toward
their target.  The winner is the one with the most
strings left after the first person exhausts his/her
supply (unless there's a better way to determine the
winner).  Splicing a rival player's string and putting
it in your piano to use it on him is not considered
cheating.  :)