Broads

Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:03:53 +0100

Terry Neely wrote:

> 1836---Hmmmm Wasn't that pretty early in the history of the plate? Is this a
> partial plate? What kind of hammers does this instrument have? Are they
> leather or felt or a combination? In this country, pianos of this vintage
> are often in museums.
>             Terry Neely, RTP chapter
> Richard Brekne wrote:

Yes. This "plate"  covers the right side only, starting just back of the bridge
and extending to the right end of the instrument. 2 long bolts go through the
entire assembly and case which is about 10 inches I would suppose. And there are
perhaps 25-30 small plate screws holding it down. I cant tell until its removed
but it looks like the soundboard "ends" just a few inches passed the bridge
under this plate. I'll let you know when I get it off.

Hammers are felt, but very very small, if there was any leather there is no sign
or remains of it anywhere.  I have had the museum currator take a look at it
before dismantleing. He mentioned that there were several things about this
instrument that made it hard to place in time. Tho he tentatively aggreed that
the date of production was written on the left front side of the panel and read
1836.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.