How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?

Mickey Kessler markmilo@znet.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:07:54 -0800

At 12:55 PM 1/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/10/02 9:28:48 AM Central Standard Time,
>Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:
>

>>Wouldn't an easier and more accurate way of determining this number be to
>>look in the phone book and count the names, then add maybe 10% for those
>>who don't list themselves?
>>
>>Bill Bremmer RPT

I have a sort of corollary question, having nothing much to do with Fermi's
original notion, but something to do with the number of tuners in
metropolitan areas.

Are there more techs than tuning work in most metropolitan areas in the US,
or is there a shortage of tuners?   Is any part of the country more likely
to be hurting for techs than any other?  Any area  overrun with techs?

And another corollary: how many out there on the list make their living
solely from tuning and repair?  Do most of you have other jobs as well
(teaching or selling instruments or whatever)?  Do those of you who rebuild
make more from rebuilding than from tuning?  (I teach college part-time and
look to piano work to help subsidize a precarious income as adjunct
faculty.  I also do it because I love it.)

Does PTG publish any stats or demographics on these issues?

Mickey Kessler