my own Soundboard

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:39:22 -0500

Greetings enlighteners,
    I have posted recently about installing my first board on a small
grand that was recently given to me. I am contemplating expanding the
scope of my fun. I'm considering building my own board. This has nothing
to do with the quality of our current suppliers and everything to do
with playing with all those expensive toys I own. ;-)
    I've read recently about current suppliers making tongue and groove
panels and I think I could possibly do a somewhat respectable job making
a flat panel this way. I figure that I would taper or trim the board
around it's edge and rib crown the thing. Can anyone suggest some
reading material on how to accomplish any of these feats? I'm especially
interested in the rib crowning. I will also need a way to clamp the
board to the inner rim. i've asked Ron Overs to e-mail me  a picture of
his set up as he posted once before that he had clamps made for him. The
picture he set looked quite intriguing. Any other ideas?
    I'm not easily frightened away from things like this so don't bother
with the buy one first and then make your own after you gain some
experience. I have nothing to loose except my time and materials. Unless
there is some equipment I just don't have or can't easily borrow, rent
or otherwise obtain the use of, this sounds like fun. I look forward to
your posts.

Greg

--
Greg Newell