Pitch

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:23:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:
> All,
> A comment was made, "I can see no justification for
> raising the pitch....."
> I will give ONE very strong reason: EAR TRAINING. If
> some continue to leave
> pianos "where they are", etc, for little Johnny to
> practice on, we will
> never get rid of the horrible phenomenon of "Tin
> Ears". Please consider
> this. Music is to be loved, enjoyed and to ease our
> day to day stresses.
> IMHO any piano that is out of tune or not at proper
> pitch does none of that.
> Respectfully,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe,

How can you say that,  Chopin heard all his music a
semi-tone flat by today's standards.  How can you say
it isn't just as beautiful at the pitch he knew?

I agree with what you say about little Johnny learning
the right pitch - but it is horses for courses, a 100
year old piano is a different animal and maybe is not
the right thing for a beginner to learn on. The touch
and tone are different too.  A parent that says "any
old thing will do to learn on" is not serving his
child well.  What is 'tin ear' by the way?  I learned
on a Victorian piano at old pitch, and accepted that
it was a semi-tone flat.  Eventually, I got a new
piano and I got used to the higher pitch in no time at
all, it's not that big a deal.

Again, this is all just my opinion so it's probably
just nonsense!

Best wishes,

Bob Wilson.
London.