Pitch/Bob Wilson

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:18:42 -0800

Bob,
Are you a piano technician? I ask this, because some of your comments are
simply false. "Victorian Pitch", as you put it, is 1/2 tone flat. This is
simply untrue. If you had done some study on the subject, as I have, you
would know that "Victorian Pitch", first of all, is stupid classification,
as there were many pitches during the "Victorian Period". To put it simply
this is why we now have a "Standard" pitch. However, in the interim, what
most considered "Victorian Pitch", or on this side of the "Pond",
"International Pitch", was A=435cps, (or C=517cps), this "pitch" is 20%
lower than A=440cps, NOT 100% flat, ("1/2 tone"), as you state! As for
Chopin hearing his music a 1/2 tone flat, that is pure BS. It depended on
which city he was in as to what pitch he was subjected to. And even in the
same city, there were various pitches for each particular venue. Do your
homework and then joust with me. <G>
Respectfully,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)