How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:56:59 +0000

Mickey Kessler wrote:

> Are there more techs than tuning work in most metropolitan areas in
> the US, or is there a shortage of tuners?   Is any part of the country
> more likely to be hurting for techs than any other?  Any area  overrun
> with techs?

I don't know, but there's no shortage of pianos.  Some are never tuned
since the free tuning after delivery, 30+ years ago!   If 1/30th of the
pianos we tune were last tuned 30 years ago, then half of existing
pianos are tuned less than once in 30 years.

-Mike Jorgensen