square grand

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:41:56 -0800

Sarah,

It's Hallet, Davis.  Unfortunately, square grands were quite common during
the 19th century, which means that a lot of them are still around.
Furthermore, most of them are much as you describe.

It is unlikely that you will find a piano dealer or technician willing to buy
it, and an antique dealer only rarely.  You might be able to sell it
privately, but most private buyers are looking for musical instruments, and
even when new, square grands were not great as instruments.

Depending upon the condition, which you did not discuss, it might be worth
between $0 and $1000, and in rare cases $2000 or more.  I have seen a nearly
perfect one advertised for $5000, but that sounds like wishful thinking to
me.

Hope that helps.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT