More on Pitch/Bob Wilson

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:39:05 -0800

Bob,
Yes, I did mean "Respectfully". I was inquiring about your perception of the
historical facts, as you were stating incorrect data that would hint at a
non-tech. Your credentials are amazing and to be envied.
Also, I do agree with you and others who have posted that Chopin, et al
wrote at a different pitch and probably would not like to hear their music
at 440 or on a modern piano. This point, I heartily agree! I have always
maintained that, if Bach were to hear his music played on a modern piano, he
would have run, screaming into a padded cell.
My whole point of pitch vs "olde" instruments is in regard to the design of
the structure and it's ability to stay in tune, ie tuning stability and
structural integrity. I have found that, if one of those olde B-cages is
tuned to at least 435 it has a tendency to sound better and stay better in
tune, for a longer time. This is simply my experience with these
instruments.
Further, I maintain that children, subjected to variables in pitch, can
develop a subconscious confusion and therefore will acquire a "tin ear"
syndrome, which is the inability to recognize pitch. We've all had a client
say: "I don't know if the piano is in tune or not, I can't tell one way or
the other". I personally believe that this is an acquired phenomenon and not
something they were "born" with. I'm sure there are many studies, coming
from the scientific world, in this regard. In short, "tone deafness" is only
in an extremely small number of the world population. The rest have acquired
the inability to recognize "pitch" from lives experiences.
Much further, I believe that, we have the opportunity to help this situation
and should strive to.
Respectfully,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)