Hammer Softening liquid

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:33:02 -0700

Wim Wrote;
    "I have used Downey Fabric Softener with some success. It would be =
best to put it sparingly on the shoulders, and let it soak it before =
playing. I put the liquid on the crown of the hammers in the upper =
treble of a Kawai grand in one of the practice rooms, and almost over =
did it. Not only did it really knock down the brightness of the hammers, =
now there is a little rust on the strings, which, of course has =
transferred to the hammers. I have done this, however, on a Baldwin =
grand in which we put a Pianodisc, and it bought the volume down quite a =
bit. On this one I put the fabric softener on the shoulders. "

Wim=20

    To which I must reply; " WHAT! You mean to tell me that you put =
straight fabric softener on piano hammers? How do you get it to even =
soak in?" =20

    I've heard of people putting a little Downey or snuggles in with =
their alcohol/water solution, but this is the first time I've ever heard =
of anybody using it straight.
    Personally, I prefer needles, much more controllable, but on the =
rare exception small inexpensive Korean piece of "furniture that =
screams", I have been known to use steam, or more recently, straight =
rubbing alcohol. Put it right on the crown so that it soaks in to the =
top half of the hammer, let it dry, and then see what you have. It's a =
good way to bring the hammers down, but if you stop there, then I =
wouldn't really call it "voicing".=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com