Shop Organization

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:32:09 -0800

All,
I have given a class on "Setting Up Shop". Giving such a class causes one to
reflect on the topic more. My shop is relatively small, compared to most
others I have seen. If I don't keep it neat, it drives me crazy and I can't
work efficiently. I utilize all of the walls and even the ceilings. My
method for parts, (of which I have a ton of), is as follows:

South Wall-Used Upright/B-cage/Square grand parts, Small parts cabinets,
misc. Solvents, Paint Locker, (a must/fireproof), Upright action Action
bench w/wood storage shelves and a wood working vise, Table saw, wood
storage, Sanders & buffers, Jig saw, small telephone desk, Music wire
storage, Sandpaper, etc. and Library.

West Wall- New parts separated into Upright, Grand & Generic, Hardware,
(screws, bolts etc.), Punchings, Mobile parts cabinet for damper felt, pedal
rods, etc, (this cabinet is actually a map cabinet, modified), Tuning pin
storage/Drilling fixture, Clamps, (I have a BUNCH), Dowels, Metal rods,
hinges, etc.

North wall- Key bench w/storage drawers for Oslunds, etc Carpenter's tool
box, belt sanders, Skil saws, Shelves above holding let off racks, glues,
drill sets, Tap & Die Sets, anything related to key work such as sorted
Ivories in T.Pin boxes; Misc Parts, felt, Ivory and Ivorine paraphernalia
Locker, used to be my main storage unit in a 9'x12' shop); Compressor;
Upright Action bench w/misc. small parts cabinet above; Higher shelves
w/used grand parts in their boxes; Band Saw; Drill press, (which has the two
benches on either side of it)

East Wall- Unfortunately this is the Garage door, (a big sucker!), so I only
can store a pianos here w/a few things hung on the wall above the door
enclosure.

In the center of the shop, I have my "Main Bench", which you can walk around
and I designed. It is 7' long and 3' wide. The top is laminated maple. Under
the top are drawers for tools, (the really important hand tools etc.) Under
the drawers are three shelves for storing actions. At one end it is a
converted "Bureau Drawers" that holds things like my Hammer boring jig, air
tools, etc. The other end has a piano bench for my tool kit, (My Gorilla
case), and a rack for all the assorted screw drivers, ( I have a bunch of
those too). Also in various nooks and crannies, I have a jointer and a
collapsible bench that hasn't been collapsed for many moons, that has a
router table affixed to it. Pianos can be dragged around the shop 360
degrees so they can be around the necessary bench. Also, I have fairly easy
Attic storage areas to hold my stock of "select hardwoods" etc.

On a final note, I have one part-time employee, that person is responsible
for putting tools away when I'm done with them or when that person is done
with them. If that person does not know where a certain thing goes and I'm
not around the main bench is a depository and I put them away. Keeping a
shop neat and tidy is tantamount to efficient work and is only accomplished
with concerted effort that builds habits. I know this sounds somewhat
totalitarian, but it is necessary, as I spend half of my time in the shop
and the other half tuning and field work. This type of organization does not
happen over night, it has to be worked on day in and day out.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)