ETDs and aural checks

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:00:37 +0100

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> How many of you ETD users do aural checks?  Isn't that a waste of
> time, if you can trust the ETD?  Or can't they be trusted?  (I'm not
> giving my opinion -- yet, anyway.)
>
> Clyde

I'd say it depends on how good of a job you want to do. In most cases
sticking with the machine is going to satisfy 95 % of the ears out
there, and will be a perfectly acceptable job.

Waste of time ??  I dont think so, for several reasons.  Number one
there are things the ETD simply cant do that you can with you ear.
Number two thats a recipe for getting "ear lazy".  Number three, its not
particularilly conducive to learning more about tuning.

But you can certainly trust them to do very well what they are
programmed to do. And that will result in a tuning that is often enough
better then what a lot of ear tuners are capable of.... that is to say
if the definition for an ET tuning is dead on even distance for one
string partial. And that works pretty well by and large.

jmv

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.