my own Soundboard

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:07:53 +0000

At 2:09 PM -0500 1/12/02, Farrell wrote:

>  Hot hide glue dries to a glass-like hardness (at least harder than
>Titebond which retains some noticeable flexability). A hard-drying
>glue might be preferable to a glue which dries somewhat flexible
>because the flexable stuff might have some capacity to dampen
>soundboard vibrations. That, in a nutshell, is the logic.

I've only this month got my first ever bottle of Titebond and have
used it on one set of upright hammerheads and a few other
non-critical jobs.  I find the shrinkage excessive for hammer heads.
But it does set pretty hard and certainly harder and far more brittle
than a high strength good quality hide glue such as one would use for
butt jointing soundboard deals and for casework.  There are many
grades of animal glue and the lighter grades tend to be more
transparent and more brittle, but I would not use this grade for
construction work.  A good high strength grade is far from glass-like.

JD

PS.  You always refer to _hot_ hide glue and I seem to recall some
rather doubtful postings from you on the subject before that made me
think you probably cook your glue and let it get out of condition.
The proper temperature for glue is not terribly hot.